Enter the “GVSU Lightboard“. In an ongoing effort to bring innovative applications to teaching and learning at GVSU, Just Melick, Digital Media Developer in eLearning and Emerging Technologies worked to bring to life a new solution that provides a brand new way to create video lectures at the university.
Justin was recently featured as a guest blogger on the Ensemble Video notes blog!
The OLC Emerging Technologies for Online Learning International Symposium was a great conference and learning experience! With nearly 700 and 350+ virtual attendees from 25 countries and 43 states, it was a great opportunity to learn how a variety of institutions are creating flexible learning options for students through the application of educational technologies. There were also 38 vendors and 8 launch pad exhibits that provided a unique ability to think beyond the current deployment of technology at our institutions while seeing what additional solutions may be available to help solve instructional problems.
The focus on online learning continues to be mission critical for universities and colleges in higher ed. Blended and online instruction is also growing rapidly in K-12. As we look to the future, it is helpful to collaborate and share experiences at conferences such as #ET4Online.
Here is an infographic from the Online Learning Consortium on “Keeping Pace with the Changing Face of Online Learning“:
Jessica L. Knott
Michigan State University
- Agile Development Process
- UX – User Experience Research
- Target the user experience for enhancing the course experience for students.
- Session Slides
- User experience focuses on understanding user behaviors, needs, and motivations through obeservation techniques.
- Polls and Surveys – Wedgies is a site for polling. Other tools: Google Forms, Qualtrics, and more.
- A/B Testing – Place 2 options in front of users and see what they do.
- How do we maximize/optimize: content, audiences, usability, contextual experiences for students.
- Have you ever done a user A/B test with students to see which course home page they like better?
- Lynda.com has a good overview of user experience testing “Foundations of UX: Usability Testing“
- Personas are valuable for empathy and to put yourself in your students’ shoes. They can inform design decisions, help you identify student groups for feedback, help identify team composition.
How can we as educators intentionally design our courses that contribute to effective learning using the principles of #UX?