Growing Enrollments: Implementing Online Programs with Learners in Mind
Speaker(s): Leslie Buckalew
This session will focus on helping educational administrators grow enrollments using Online Programs that improve student retention and timely completion of degrees. Proven pedagogy that focuses on learner needs will be reviewed. Use of Blackboard Learn and Blackboard Collaborate will be highlighted.Online enrollments have shown a 20% annual increase since 2010 and more than ever Colleges know that effectively implementing Online programs is critical to our long term success. This session will review proper planning and resources needed to run a successful Online Program and grow enrollments while achieving student success and course completion.Finally, we will discuss program evaluation in the context of the larger campus strategic plan and enrollment management strategies.
- Online Education Initiative – Columbia is a member of… “The mission of the California Community Colleges Online Education Initiative (OEI) is to dramatically increase the number of California Community Colleges (CCC) students who obtain college associate degrees and transfer to four-year colleges each year by providing online courses and services within a statewide CCC Online Education Ecosystem (OEE).”
- New online learners value collaborative and self directed learning. Online learners are trending to be younger.
- Title III Grant was awarded $2 million for 5 years to expand distance learning. Columbia is currently in the 6th year. Initially they offered 1,000 stipend for online and 600 for hybrid. They equip faculty to teach online by offering a flexible, collaborative, and accountable 30 hour training program utilizing cohorts in an online and F2F learning community setting:
- Teaching and Learning Communities
- Blackboard Training
- Collaborative Development
- Tech Training and Workshops
- Peer Mentors
- Incentives and Software
- Best Practices by Chickering and Gameson 7 Principles of Undergraduate Education were used.
- Start Here Modules
- Universal Design
- Safety Nets via Practice Assignments
- Need to Knows
- Faculty are equipped to provide: embedded video clips, async/sync tools, rubrics, community building activities.
- All faculty have a welcome video and tour for each course.
- Virtual conferencing tools for office hours, lectures, counseling, and meetings. CCCConfer is used for synchronous technology via Bb Collaborate.
- Student success factors: 1) Blackboard Help Desk, 2) Instructional Tech Center, 3) F2F and Virtual Orientations, 4) Video Tours of Online Courses, 5) Embedded Instructional Videos, 6) Online Student Resources, 7) Bb Quick Guide, 8) Email Blasts, and 9) Faculty Directory Pages
- Key Takeaways: Student Confidence via Faculty Training, 21st Century Skills, Strong Online Community, Higher Retention Rates, Student Satisfaction, and Educational Opportunities