Outcomes: Leverage data from your LMS to improve student outcomes * Empower students to improve pathway planning * Use technology to scale academic advisory services
Brook Bock, Vice President of Mobile,Blackboard Inc.
Mike Sharkey, Vice President, Analytics,Blackboard Inc.
- Need to Innovate in Higher Education
- Education is evolving and students are experiencing a different
- Students are increasingly non-traditional
- The students’ journey is different from what has been
- Students have a lot of educational opportunities
- Students have high consumer expectations
- At Blackboard we are taking a user-centered approach in designing our products.
- Students, faculty, advisors, administration, recruiters and there needs to be a unified experience.
- Consistent and integrated experience – a new Ultra interface is beyond the look and feel but it’s about a connected experience
- Student Planning
- There are 12.5 million with some colelge credits and no degree. – Harvard Business Review
- The most popular major among incoming freshman is undecided
- Students take an average of 134 credits when 120 are sufficient for a bachelors degree
- 30% of non-returning students left because they couldn’t find the classes they needed at a time that would fit into their schedule.
- Introducing Blackboard Planner
- This empowers students with the information they need to chart the course of the path to graduation
- One app for all planning and learning activities – Bb Planner is integrated into the Bb Student mobile app.
- Students navigate through the Planner app to enter information about their interest and then discover careers based on interests.
- Bb has integrated with Burning Glass to power the apps decision tree.
- Partnered with Road Trip Nation – to give students an idea of what it is like to work in a specific career.
- Reaching out to a campus advisor is also easy, right from the device.
- Planner also provides their status as to their progress toward a degree and then there is a “what if” feature that allows students to discover a new degree or pathway based on what classes they have already taken.
- At the institutional level the system can help advisors identify at-risk students.
- Advisors can also connect through Collaborate to have a real-time session through mobile.
- Predictive Analytics
- Bb Predict is based on a solution created by Blue Canary.
- Date is collected from SIS and LMS – and asking questions like will the student pass the class, will the student show up in class, and then putting this information in front of advisors, faculty, and students.
- The goal is to take the raw data and distill that into of something of value – with the end goal: Student Success.
- PROBLEM: What is the question you are trying to answer? This is the place to start when looking at data/analytics.
- INGEST: Aggregate the data from multiple sources.
- MODELING: Take and turn the data into valuable info (answer the question)
- DISTRIBUTE: Put the valuable info into the hands of those who can act on it
- Data Science
- How can we use data to make things better. Blackboard’s data science team is to further the state of the art in research, share that research, and help to improve products for that institutions can become more effective.
- Student activity in courses was reviewed by Blackboard from 70,000 courses from 927 institutions, with 3,374,462 unique learners that resulted in the following categories of “course types”:
- Bb Collaborate data is also used to evaluate student activity in the creation of an engagement score.
See Blackboard Blog Post: Patterns in Course Design: How instructors ACTUALLY use the LMS