Thursday’s general session starts off with the Catalyst Awards winner presentation followed by Blackboard’s charitable giving program. Then, Dr. Mae Jemison, former NASA astronaut, engineer, physician & education advocate takes the stage to deliver an inspirational keynote address.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BLACKBOARD CATALYST AWARD WINNERS!
- Education is about providing the best opportunity to move forward for the future.
- The future never just happened it was created.
- Even the sharpest blade can’t cut it’s own handle. – Proverb
- What does space have to do with me? You have a space receiver in your hand – mobile. MRIs. Weather Satellites, etc.
- 100 Year Starship Canopus
- In education, we need to prepare students for a future that stretches beyond what we can reliably predict.
- We can’t give everyone all of the facts…
- Purpose: expectations, skills, knowledge, facts, enduring
- Majority of the benefits may take place and be measured after you no longer have any control over the student or situation; cannot provide sideline coaching, in fact you may no longer be alive as a teacher: “Emphasis often on requirements for current jobs, but the majority of a students work life will be 40-50 years into the future.”
- We need to train our students for a future that isn’t here yet.
- There is always something to learn from experience. – Proverb
- The importance of STEM right now, is about finding the best path forward. It’s at the center of all of our lives.
- Science literacy is key to be informed and we can have a pipeline of people that go into science and a technology
- Critical actions for promoting STEM: Exposure, Experience, and Expectation
- Children have response of living up or down to our expectations.
- Teaching STEM: hands on, hearts on, minds on!
- When you work with something with your hands, you become engaged.
- You get self-esteem from doing things!
- It is the nature of the this flower to bloom. – Alice Walker
- Every child is a flower it is their nature to bloom, our job as educators is to ensure they have the resources in place to bloom.
- How do we make sure Capabilities exist for the work that is ahead of us. We believe an extraordinary future makes a better world today.
- Our future needs to push us.
- We get there by leaping further!
- Do people stay in STEM fields in spite of or because of? Do we have enough engagement in our programming?
- The student is NOT our customer they are OUR responsibility!