- What is OER?
OERs are materials that are openly licensed, giving users the legal permission to retain, reuse, revise, remix, and redistribute the material Wiley, D (2017).
- Textbook Costs Continue to Rise
- Cost is negatively impacting student access, success, and completion.
- Required textbooks are purchased but not always used in course instruction.
- Textbook costs for Florida university and college students continue to trend higher over time.
- Undergraduates pay more than graduate students
- Students find other means to acquire textbooks than campus bookstore
- Florida Virtual Campus. (2016). 2016 Florida Student Textbook & Course Materials Survey. Tallahassee, FL.
- Florida Textbook Affordability Law
- Textbook orders are due 45 days before the semester
- Faculty are encouraged to review editions for changes
- Faculty are encouraged to adopt OER content
- Textbook and “instructional materials”
- Requires universities to submit TA reporting to the state
- OER Faculty Workshop
- 8 Faculty and Instructional Designers Facilitated
- Faculty offered $500 to attend OER Meetings
- Participate in Self-Paced Course [see below]
- Attend 3 Workshops OER
- Design an OER Deliverable in the Next Semester
- Provide a Final Report
- OER Self-Paced Course Innovation Project is Available
- “Making the Transition to OPEN: The Easy way to Create, License, and Share Free Materials” Adapted from Matthew Blooms’ OER MOOC.
- Workshop OER Topics/Sessions
- Finding Free Materials
- What would it take to replace YOUR textbook?
- Copyright considerations for OER
- Reusing and Remixing OER
- Creating and Sharing OER
- Faculty Testimonials for OER
I realized that I did not know much about OER even though I thought I knew some.
I now understand how OER licenses work.
An OER doesn’t have to be a perfect work. It can be a handout or a lesson we have already prepared.
I now have more concrete and practical knowledge about copyright policies.
I am more familiar with the kinds of OER resources that are out there.
I have ideas for the development and contribution of my own projects to these databases.