Bonnie St. John, Author, Speaker, and Leadership Consultant, Out of Our Mind: Learning to Be Creative
Despite having her right leg amputated at age fve, Bonnie St. John became the frst African-American ever to win medals in Winter Olympic competition, taking home a silver and two bronze medals in downhill events at the 1984 Paralympics in Innsbruck, Austria. She is also is a best-selling author, a highly sought after keynote speaker, a televi-sion and radio personality, a business owner and a Fortune 500 leadership consultant. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard University in 1986, and won a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford Univer-sity, taking a Master of Letters degree in Economics.
- About Bonnie St. John – Today Show
- “Will I live a normal life? – Normal is Overrated, Aim Higher!”
- Quartz – Being extraordinary (not looking) lasts a lifetime. “The difference between looking extraordinary and being extraordinary“
- School choices, they all matter: private, public, home, virtual…
- Trying new things isn’t easy… This conference is about learning, the curriculum, and how to use technology to advance education.
- How do you convert learning into technology, and how do you blend it so that it’s about the learning and not the technology?
- GIVE a GIFT > Look at your kids and tell them, I know you can do it! Believe in them, open a door.
- The power of diversity and it makes us more competitive. Literally this is true…
- It’s important to make the connections across the division and move beyond the comfort zone.
- Maybe it doesn’t work the first time, but try something new to make a difference for 1 kid, 5 kids, 10 kids…
- Optimize everything to be a champion.
- Ideas give the power to imagine, dream, and create.
- If I want to be a champion, I need to do it. Train like a champion.
- No responsible adult made me quit, and I didn’t stop myself!
- Get up and finish, even when you don’t feel like it! Finish the race!
- Resilience is the skill of the future. You are preparing kids for a future that doesn’t exist yet.
- We have to get good at falling down and getting back up!
- The person who wins is the quickest getter upper!
- The secret to success is… failure. Invest in a portfolio of goals and be wiling to fail.
- We are defined not by our circumstances, but rather by the VISION we hold inside ourselves.