This session provides an overview of Blackboard’s overall Teaching & Learning strategy and vision for the future. Come and learn where we’re headed directionally for Blackboard Learn, Collaborate, Ally, Moodlerooms, Mobile, Analytics, SafeAssign and related services. This session is not a product roadmap session, but rather a view of our vision for our Teaching & Learning portfolio over the long term.
- Year in review…
- Original Experience – Q4 2017 and Q2 2018 releases. Quality and bug fixes. New features include attendance and audio/video feedback. Installer improvements, automated update procedures, improved performance testing. New REST APIs and LTI standards.
- Crocodoc to Box – Honest that we didn’t get this right. 2 areas: 1) Timing of announcements and availability date caused timing concerns. 2) Capabilities were not ready, such as downloading annotations. New features will be available in early August such as downloading annotated feedback.
- SaaS Deployment – 6 global deployments with 2 more including Canada and South Korea. 383 and now 386 clients that have moved to SaaS.
- Learn Ultra – Efforts have been doubled in features and functionality. 62 clients in production with Ultra with 34 additional pilots underway. Flexibility to change at your own pace. Turn on base navigation in Ultra… you can go fast or slow. Ultra base navigation can be used with Original courses, dual course mode, all ultra course.
- Collaborate – An outstanding and effective tool for: office hours, group collaboration and meetings, virtual classrooms, events and webinars.
- Collaborate Highlights – Countdown timer is coming out in late July. Recordings to include post-captioning (in addition to live captions). The next step is to provide automated captioning. Telephone only dial in. Improved reliability and scalability. Transition to Amazon AWS for stability and reliability. Next is to expand student and faculty presence along with easy recording for Flipped Classrooms. Also new features are planned for automated virtual attendance tracking for participation grades or at-risk student detection.
- Mobile – New feature development, 6.3 million downloads, 4.6 star rating in App Store, CODiE Award, grading now available in Instructor app (Grading beta with 38 institutions).
- Blackboard Ally – Provides alternative formats for students, auto checking of files uploaded by faculty, instructor guidance for fixing accessibility issues and institutional dashboards. 177 institutions are live, 20 languages supported, 14 countries, 7.7 million course processed and 187 million content items processed. Next is for Ally to auto-detect for captioned videos. Next also is to provide course wide accessibility reports for faculty.
- SafeAssign – Plagiarism prevention solution. Improvements have been made with move to Amazon AWS. Ultra now includes SafeAssign and also enhanced the originality report. SafeAssign now supports test essay questions. Growing corpus and now available for Moodle and Moodlerooms. Next up is to detect content in discussion boards.
- Analytics – Improvements in authentic assessment and rubric analysis with granular tool detail. Monitor for instructional design purposes and adoption. Bb Predict includes new communication workflows for advisors for them to collaborate with each other and also in bulk communication.
- Blackboard Openness – IMS Leadership, REST API, open content in the content market, Open Education Initiative.
- GDPR – Blackboard supports clients with data privacy. Blackboard has been way ahead of this new EU policies. Bb has made enhancements in this area for data privacy also.
- Blackboard Data – New open data model for analytics across products. eg. Learning Tool Adoption and Use. Core features will be FREE to Blackboard clients!
- Blackboard has received awards for software in the past year: