After attending this session, attendees will be able to identify student, instructional, and social/academic characteristics of online courses that significantly impact student learning and satisfaction.
- Goals are to develop a toolkit, collect data, and share effective practices.
- How can we better support faculty and design courses?
- Online Instructional Characteristics: Learner Support, Design and Organization, Content Design and Delivery, Instructor Interactivity, Peer Interactivity, Assessment
- Infographic on the 8 Key Indicators for Online Quality
- Understanding by Design Framework
- Learner Support > Learner support was statistically significant in the research: eg. management of student expectations, providing orientation, alignment of objectives, assignments, and activities, clear instructions, description of grading and assessment plans.
- Content > Not just transmission of content, but how and why and the interactivity with the content is important. Students want to know why they are reading a PDF, watching a video, what are they doing to interact and engage with the content as a learning activity.
- Interactivity > Students want interactivity and robust assignment and regular feedback and richness in contact with the instructor and peers.