Menlo Innovations Slides and Presentation Information
KEY TO SUCCESS: “Foster human relationships and built with human energy – pump fear out of the room.”
- Joy Inc. Book
- Purpose driven work life – who do you serve and what does delight look like for them? Who are your “end users” of the software and services you create and offer?
- Does joy matter? Is it visible?
“The Click Moment” – Ways to work within an organization…
- Extreme Programming Explained
- The Deep Dive
- The Click Moment
Tear Down the Walls!
- Open office format. Do these work? Yes! Why does this work? Menlo Innovations built an open and collaborative culture. Team work, transparency, collaboration are parts of the culture.
- Embrace noice
- Embrace teamwork – see teamwork
- Flexible and visual work space – set the space to how they choose
- Organize the team, connect the team, and learning happens
- Two people > One computer
- Stand up meetings (eg. 15 minutes with 50 staff – with report outs in teams of 2).
- Pairs are assigned and then they rotate after 5 days
- Conversations, rituals, and artifacts – “the most exciting breakthroughs of the 21st century will not occur because of technology but because of an expanding concept of what it means to be human”. (John Naisbitt, Megatrends)
- Use paper and pencil tools as needed… don’t have to be high tech!
The Power of Observation
- Anthropology, study people, observe them – in their native environment, look for the invisible, be the empath!
- Empathy of end users is critical. High tech anthropology. Learn about the users and understand what works and what doesn’t at the end user level. Focus on the end user experience.
- Build delightful learning experiences for users and their needs.
- Fight fear, embrace change.
- Let’s try running with the idea – run the experiment/pilot – before defeating it.
Affordances – The worker/workplace relationships… by Haworth Inc.
- Doing your “mind’s best work”
- Nurturing your psychological state
- Support in your corporal needs
Adaptive Connections with Clients and Community
- Matterhorn by Court Innovations
- Online dispute resolution
- Capture the Record – Digital course recorder for court proceedings, interviews, transcripts, record keeping
- DCR Presentation and Annotation Technology for meetings.
- Interview Room Recorder – Live and record playback.
- Meeting Recorder – 32 channels of audio and 4 channels of video.
Expectations of a Constantly Connected Workforce
- Michael Hakkarinen, Instructional Technologies Specialist, Utah Education Network
- Diversity contributes to disruptive innovation
- Google it… docs, calendar, research, spreadsheets, etc.
- 4 C’s = collaboration, critical thinking, creativity, communication
- SAMR Technology Adoption Model = substitution, augmentation, modification, redefinition
- Swift app for coding
- Ready Player One Movie
- Slides available at: edtechakk.weebly.com
- Work is no longer a place / collaboration
Implementing Change – Quick start tools to accelerate strategic change.
- Why change management.
- Manage resistance to change.
- Why people change.
- Managing change is managing the resistance to Change
Black Box AI – Jason Sosa
- Black Box AI
- Focus on machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, Blockchain, and tech to solve business problems.